Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Amitabh Bachchan: Our Hero for All Times!


It was January of 1979, I was 11 and our Air India flight from Karachi was about to land in Bombay (now named Mumbai) International Airport. Our trip had taken us from Tehran to Karachi and after two days in Karachi we made it to Bombay. After we landed there, we were driven to Poona (Pune) and onto to Panchgani, a hill station in the western State of Maharashtra where my sister, my brother, I would attend, New Era High School, an international boarding school.

One day we were in Ahvaz, in the comfort of all that was familiar to us…our city, our home, our language, our food and above all, our family and friends…in what seemed to be, a blink of an eye, we were taken away from it and put in India. Fortunately for us, we went to a boarding school where most students were our age and came from all over the world, from Iran to Canada, United States to Ethiopia, and Somalia to Australia. Exposure to this rich mixture of diverse cultures at a young age developed within me the ability to mingle with all peoples and see diversity as a strength and looked for it rather than avoid it! Give me a work force from 10 countries, 50 cultures/tribes and a table with chicken briyani, Awaze tibs, chelo-kabob, goat curry, and Tuo Zaafi with bito soup and Guinea Fowl meat on it and I am as happy and productive as can be!

That was the campus of New Era High School….But outside of that, there was India. India with its populations of 700 million (1979)! The wealth of Indian culture was immense, this wealth was a direct reflection of its diverse population. Different languages, nationalities, tribes, religions, food, music and geography, all within this huge land mass. For me as a kid, nothing and no one brought these difference into one arena as did Bollywood and its incomparable hero, Amitabh Bachchan.
 
 

Amitabh Bachchan became our hero. I remember the first movie I saw with Amitabh in it. It was in the city of Sholapur and the name of the movie was “Suhaag”. The movie was “house-full”, no seats available! A few minutes into the movie, Amitabh finally appears on the screen, with him drinking a bottle of whisky and the theater erupted…as if he was standing on the stage in person!! People started to throw coins towards the screen! The best a Hollywood megastar could do was get a clap or two!! Whether you were an 11 year old kid like me or a 50 year woman sitting behind us, we were all taken over and mesmerized by Amitabh baritone voice, acting, singing and dancing. And when the movie came to an end, it was as if you woke up from a dream! It was an amazing feeling. The songs from the movies were all around us, whether walking in the bazaar or in school. We would try to imitate Amitabh’s dance moves and the term “hero” and “Amitabh/Amit” were interchangeable in our lingo…Ultimately, Amitabh’s heroism on the screen infused some of us with the wealth of Indian music, and our love for it.
 
In 1984 when my siblings and I left India for the United States, we brought with us a piece of India, which was our love for Amitabh Bachchan, Bollywood and its music which had sustained our childish spirit during the five years we lived in India.

Till today, when the times are tough or when my days are not going well, one of the avenues I turn to for spiritual upliftment and motivation is an old Amitabh song and dance number! So it was in 1989, my first semester at Holyoke Community College, when taking one of my first international affairs classes. It was mid-terms and we had to write a paper. Let’s just say my professor did not like my paper, she came quite hard on me, and told me “what the hell is this?” She used the word “hell’ because she was too polite to use the “F” word! I took the paper came home and just fell on the couch, depressed and looking at the ceiling. Not knowing how to get myself up and motivated after that very negative encounter with my professor!  I simply got up and took a cassette and put it in the video player and turned to Amitabh, the hero of my childhood to save the day and put some motivation back into my being!! It just took a song from the movie “Mr. Natwarlal” where Amitabh Bachchan and Rekha sing and dance to the song, “Oonchi Oonchi Baaton Se”! A week later I stood in my professor’s office and she turned to me and said, “This is what I was looking for, much better…good job”.

If I told her what was behind the better performance, she would have never believed me!

1 comment: