Sunday, September 14, 2014

Eating Curry over the Friendly Skies of United Airways!


When you work for the government you are required by the “Fly America Act” to fly airlines that are owned by American companies such as Delta, United and American.


Whenever people ask me what was the toughest thing about working in Afghanistan, my reply has been, “Flying United Airlines!!” Getting to Afghanistan was the most traumatic part of my work there. My usual route was Washington, DC to Dubai. I remember my heart beat going up and starting to sweat as I thought of the more than ten hours of being stuck up in the air and having to deal with flight attendants who were one of the most irritated and agitated group of people I have ever met! When I would get to the ticket counter, I would try to smile as much as I could to perhaps create a good atmosphere and make the initial step of getting on board as pleasant as possible. It never worked as the ticket agents never smiled back, I think they got a bonus for not smiling. If they did, there are lots of rich United employees out there!!  

I would make it through security, comparing to the next step, which was boarding the plane, the security checks were much smoother and friendlier!
I would give my boarding pass to the flight attendant, who would point me to the direction where my seat was, as I entered the plane I could see the flight attendants all lined up and ready to provide the best service, “unfriendly” could deliver!!

The first couple of times I flew with United, I took my seat and asked for a new earpiece or a blanket or something very rudimentary and each time I stopped the flight attendant she/he would stop, look at me expressionlessly (as I smiled) and as I would finish telling them what I needed, he/she would just walk away and never bring what I had asked for!!!
My favorite time on United was meal time, when you were provided the “best” food ever! I agree airline food is not good but it tastes even worst when the flight attendant feels burdened by serving you. One of my most favorite experiences was when during one dinner, the flight attendant came by to serve food to our row! He looked agitated and was in no mood to waste time asking what I needed, having served chicken to the window seat and beef to the middle seat, he turned to me and said rather impatiently, “and you will take curry!” Perhaps thinking he was looking at an Indian, an Indian who is a vegetarian. He wanted me to have curry, I thanked him, smiled and said no I will take the chicken!

Though I see the logic of the “Fly America Act”, I am personally against it as it is contrary to the American value of free trade and fair competition! Fair competition is a concept which the United States is the leader of and is constantly promoting it throughout the world!! Why should anyone be forced to fly an airline that provides inferior service? There are lots of better airlines that fly from DC to Dubai, including Emirates.
I am no longer forced to fly the “Friendly Skies” of United Airlines. I end this piece with a big smile on my face and look forward to lunch tomorrow, perhaps I will have curry and rice!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment