Saturday, September 20, 2014

Living in Ghana: The Gateway to Africa.

When you tell people that you live in Africa, they want to know if you have seen elephants and giraffes! Yes, there is animals and there is lots of great safaris you can pay thousands of dollars to come and see. Here in Ghana too there is a national park that has animals people like to see including elephants! It’s called Mole National Park and it’s located in northern part of the country.


Ghana is like most countries on this planet. It is made up of several urban centers like Accra, Kumasi, Tamale, Takaradi, Cape Coast and Bolgatanga. There are rich people, poor people, there are malls, local markets, street peddlers, there are BMWs, Toyotas, taxis and mini-buses and people walking. And yes, there are also villages and small mud huts. There are paved roads and some very good and very bad side roads. There is electricity and there are power cuts too. There are lawyers, doctors, engineers, farmers, and every other employment you can think of. No not every Ghanaian and African is a wood carver and plays the drums! FYI, Accra even has three Turkish restaurants. I hope you are getting the picture! 

The things that I like about Ghana are the friendly people, the culture, the weather (it never snows!), the food, and most importantly people look out for you when you are part of their community.

I know some of you are still wondering about whether I have seen elephants, I have yet to see an elephant but I did have an encounter with a much, much, smaller species while living in Namoo, in rural Ghana as a Peace Corps Volunteer…and here is the story…   




It was 14th of February 1999 around 2am, when I was awakened by my landlord Mr. Tony to come and watch the Oscar De La Hoya-Ike Quartey live from Las Vegas! Being half awake and half asleep, I put my leg down looking for my slippers which I found but before I could wear them I felt a sharp sting on the bottom of my foot, I took my flash light and saw a scorpion running away!!! I had step on a scorpion…so what do I do now? Call 911! Go to the non-functioning clinic? Is this my end? It’s been a good life, at least I died trying to make the world a better place! Though the thought of death crossed my mind, I had bigger problems to deal with! How would I go and tell Mr. Tony that I needed medical help. Mr. Tony did not like to be disturbed when watching a boxing match….And especially now that a Ghanaian fighter was involved. I mustered up the courage after saying a few prayers and walked to Mr. Tony and told him what had happened…Mr. Tony quickly mobilized the family and asked everyone to go look for medicine. He gave me a black stone to put on the bite and told Azanpoka, one of my mothers to apply a local medicine on my foot….I had no idea what it was but I said if it works for the Ghanaians it will work for me too!! That night I survived two near death experience one was the scorpion sting and the other disturbing Mr. Tony during a boxing match.

As the sun came up that day my pain subsided and I got throngs of people who came to see me, having heard that Anamoo (my local name) has been stung by a scorpion! There was no phones and yet the whole area had heard the news! Don’t underestimate the power of the LNN (Local News Network)

I survived the scorpion sting, and now my only wish is to see an elephant!

No comments:

Post a Comment